Friday 14 November 2014

Theatre, Scrubs and death

 Yesterday. I spent about 3 1/2 hours in theatres watching two operations, an ankle being pinned and a half hip replacement. Wowser, just loved it. The scrubs are a dark cranberry colour and I wore white plastic clogs that made my feet look like a duck's bill. I had to wear a different coloured hat to the team so they knew I was a student, but they were all so helpul. 

Is is odd that when I got home I watched '24 Hours in A&E'? Maybe I am the nursey equivalent of a train spotter!! But there is another side too. 

I helped perform the last service on a patient who died. It was so moving, so dignified and so very human. The lead nurse talked to him and told him what we were doing, we washed and wrapped him and at no point did it seem macabre, scary, odd or even, heaven forbid, awful. The nurses were so kind and caring. The porters too. When they came to take him from the ward, they asked that we close the curtains around the beds of all the patients. That way there was no distress and no staring and whispering. My very young colleague was equally moved and we were glad to have been able to share the experience. 

Sorry if this stuff offends folk, but I have always felt we need a much more honest approach to death in life. We are rather ignorant about what happens in the end. All I can say is that if my loved ones were treated that way, I would be really happy to know it. 

Anyhoo!

The pets are both snoring, it is such a foul day, but there are things to do and people to see.

Have a good one.. x







No comments: