Tuesday 27 September 2011

Apple tea cake

This cake is so nice, I thought I would share it with you. I have a number of recipes with this name, but this one is the best so far. Great for using up windfalls as the apples don't have to be perfect.

Allow me to type it out for you while one of my own is baking in the oven!

2 apples
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
250g caster sugar
250g butter (unsalted is the guide here, but I use what I have)
250g self raising flour
4 eggs
icing sugar to dust - never had time to do this...it gets eaten too fast!

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line base of a 23cm springform cake tin.
2. Peel, core and slice apples, (not too thinly). Toss in lemon juice and half the cinnamon and set aside.
3. Take 50g of the butter, sugar and flour, put it in a bowl with the remaining cinnamon and rub together with finger tips. (I don't add cinnamon here as some folk aren't too keen on too much of it).
4. Place eggs and remaining sugar into a bowl and beat until light and fluffy...use a mixer, this is exhausting otherwise. Melt remaining butter and pour into egg mix. Sift in the remaining flour and fold carefully until combined.
5. Pour into cake tin and carefully lay apple slices all over the top. Sprinkle with crumble mixture and bake for 50 mins (or until a skewer comes out clean). In my oven it take a few minutes more of anxious waiting to make sure the centre is completely baked.
6. Cool in tin for 10 minutes before putting on a wire rack. Even better the day after baking it.

Let me know if you try this and if you like it and if you do use it and blog about it, please link back to me here.

And here is the finished product. It smells divine.



Thank you.

No comments: