Tuesday 23 October 2012

Thomas Hardy & Furmity

Tomorrow night is Book Club and it is my turn to host the event. Our book this time is The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy. I have a few pages left to read and have loved the book.

If you know the story, then you will recall the scene in the FURMITY tent in Chapter I. To get us all into the mood for Hardy's West Country characters and their foibles I have decided to make us a pot of the very brew....complete with a splash of rum for those who would like a shot of something to warm their innards!

I will be reporting back on the reaction.

To prepare for this occasion it is necessary to clean and tidy up and you know? I like getting ready for a gathering here.

Tonight I have wiped down doors, kitchen cabinets, the stove front, top and hood. Swept the floor and even cleaned out the micro-wave with a half a lemon blasted  in there to loosen any congealed fat. (Works a treat and smells lovely.)

Tomorrow - with luck - a gas engineer and an electrician will be calling to look at the ever growing list of things that go wrong all at the same time in a house.  We have a leak, three kitchen lights that blow bulbs every few weeks....don't go there! A bit missing off one of the radiators - an unsolved mystery to this day, as well as a few other things. But bite the bullet we must.

I will probably bake something and will have some crunchy veg with dips and some nuts. Wine, water, tea and coffee and a nice clean conservatory to sit in.

Lots to do still, but as I have been up since 5:50 and have been hard at work all day/evening - there is just a little time for me to finish reading the book.

Ciao




No comments: